A Better Lawn And Garden In 5 Simple Steps.
If you want a better lawn and garden and you’re lucky enough to have a good topsoil, much of the hard work of getting the lawn and garden to be beautiful is already done for you. But many of us do not have this luxury, and besides, even with a good topsoil base, you still have to work hard to keep everything looking good once you get there. Here are some simple things to do, in case you have forgotten.
1. The best time to mow a lawn is when it is cool and dry. Wait for the morning dew to dry off, and before the afternoon heat takes hold. Alternatively, late afternoon or early evening following a watering in the morning is also a good time.
Don’t mow wet grass
Use push mower
2. A hedge is a much better boundary divider than a fence. It will provide better privacy and keep pets and children in – or out. It will attract birds to its shelter, and provide a great backdrop for plants and flowers. Of course, it brings work in its own right, so the choice may not be easy to make. And it takes time to grow and establish, but the result looks so much better than fencing.Hedging a path
3. Bring the beauty of your garden to you; plant hyacinths near walkways and doors. Their magnificent perfume will swamp the spring air and make your garden really come alive. This is an aspect of gardening that is so simple to implement, yet bringing the fragrances as close as possible is sometimes overlooked.
4. Add your garden to non-garden items, such a lampposts and mail boxes. Surround these items with flowers planted to take advantage of the earliest to the latest flowerings. You could have white snowdrops, purple and gold crocus, blue hyacinths, and various colored tulips. You could also surround the posts with rocks to provide added interest.
5. Simple, but effective weed control can be achieved on your lawn by mowing often during spring. This will prevent dandelions spreading by eliminating the yellow blossoms and preventing seed formation. Frequent mowing is a great weed control measure. Mow high during late spring and early summer. This will allow grass blades to shade the ground, and will help prevent crabgrass from sprouting.
Your lawn and garden should be a source of pride and beauty. The fact is, you don’t need to spend lots of money on expensive fertilizers and herbicides, or fancy lawn furniture and ornaments. A little commonsense and thought can go a long way to making a better lawn and garden. Remember mowing should not be a chore, use your lawn mower properly. Pride and satisfaction can be gained with just a few simple ideas applied.
Featured image: Neatorama.com